A California father, Jose Barrera is asking Google to take down a satellite map image that shows the body of his teenage son, Kevin who was shot and killed in 2009.
The Google Maps image shows several police officers standing near the body of 14-year-old Kevin Barrera, who was found, shot to death, along some railroad tracks. Tragically, between February and October of 2009, six different people had been killed in or around that same area. Kevin’s killer(s) have never been found.
The victim’s father Jose Barrera said he learned about the disturbing image earlier this week, and he’s asking Google take it down out of respect for his son.
Jose Barrera is going to have an uphill battle with Google, as they don’t usually remove images by request.
UPDATE: after the story being publicized, Google releases statement and says that they will indeed remove the image!
“Our hearts go out to the family of this young boy …,” Brian McClendon, vice president of Google Maps, said Monday in a written statement. “Google has never accelerated the replacement of updated satellite imagery from our maps before, but given the circumstances we wanted to make an exception in this case.”
Their compassionate compliance with the father’s request is unprecedented.